You can immediately notice when your toddler has a fever basing from his high body temperature, flushed cheek and dull expression of his eyes. We recommend you some simple steps and tips in order to diminish your toddler’s fever.
Prepare the following items for your feverish toddler:
- Wash cloth or small towel
- Warm water
- Bath tub
- Electric fan
- Over the counter meds
- Cold foods and drinks
- Make use of the warm water and wash cloth (small towel). Momentarily submerge cloth into the warm water and squeeze excess water. Put the cloth on your toddler’s forehead and let him sleep or take a bed rest.
- Give your toddler a warm bath in a tub. The bath will cool off his skin and make him more comfortable.
- If your toddler objects about bath in a tub, give him a sponge bath. Make sure that you gently rub areas such as chest, arms, armpits, back, and legs.
- Give your toddler soft and comfortable clothes made of cotton material instead of sweaters. As much as possible, don’t use clothes that can keep hold of heat.
- Use a room fan to regulate room temperature, but don’t direct the wind onto your toddler.
- Give your child acetaminophen or ibuprofen (over the counter meds). Be sure to give the dosage in proportion with his weight.
- Consult your physician for more information about your child’s fever.
- Keep cold foods and drinks in storage because these will help cool off body temperature of your child. Popsicles, juices and ice cream are most welcome in this situation.
- Use thermometer to monitor your toddler’s body temperature.
- If your toddler has asthma and other respiratory problems, it’s much better if you consult your pediatrician.