Making window plant boxes, despite the look, is actually easy. This takes up lesser space compared to other garden boxes. You can plant almost anything in it, especially those plants that really love sunlight.
- 1 piece 5/8” x 6” x 8’ Wooden Fence Panel
- 1 piece 1” x 2” x 6’ Wooden Board
- 1 piece ½” Galvanized Finish Nails
- 4 pieces 1” Galvanized Screws
- 4 pieces 5/8” Galvanized Screws
- 2 pieces L- Shaped Brackets
- Wood Glue
- Paint or Wood Stain (Optional)
- Power Saw
- Drill and 1” Spade Drill Bit
- Tape Measure
- Depending on your home’s window length, cut the wooden fence panel into two equal sizes. Do the same with the wooden boards.
- Taking one of the wooden boards, cut this again into two equal sizes. These two are going to be the end pieces of your plant box. Take also one of the newly-cut wooden fence panels for the trim pieces.
- Join the wooden boards and panel together by using the wooden glue in a box-like fashion before attaching them completely with galvanized nails.
- Measure the inside part of the box (using the tape measure) and cut the remaining wooden fence panel according to that measurement. This is going to be the bottom part of the plant box. Secure it by using the wood glue and nails.
- Take the remaining wooden panel and make it into trim pieces, the sizes according to the length and width of the plant box itself. Attach it by using the wooden glue and nails again. Smooth the rough edges by means of a sand paper. Apply paint or wood stain and dry it overnight if you want.
- Drill some drainage holes under the plant box. Mount it in the window by using the L Brackets. Use the galvanized screws, 1” for the L Bracket and 5/8” for the plant box, in order to hold it into place. And finally, start your own garden by planting it with your desired plants.