If you have watched the latest franchise of the Jurassic Park movie, you will be able to spot the legendary Mercedes Benz M-Class as a reliable safari vehicle. Moreover, the model has also been an official vehicle for the Pope during his outdoor visits, popularly known as “popemobile.” This marks the M-class’ legendary presence in the automobile industry. Yet just recently, the carmaker refreshed its taxonomy and part of it is to rename the M-class into GLE-class.
The Dilemma and the Answer
With the constant evolution of the consumers’ taste today, automakers face the dilemma on how they can cater to their demands. For instance, the midsize SUV faces challenges like the expanding market for luxury utility clientele who desire sports car ability within the body of an SUV. In response, Mercedes Benz brought out their big gun known as the Mercedes-AMG GLE63 S Coupe.
The Core Offer
Mercedes-AMG GLE63 S Coupe is a champion among the fleet of midsize SUV’s out there. Bearing the new badge of GLE-class, the SUV concentrates on performance with its 5.5L twin-turbocharged V8 that manages to produce 577 of horsepower and 561 pound-feet of torque. The output is then directed to the 4MATIC permanent 4WD drivetrain through the AMG speedshift and the 7G-tronic transmission. The driver can appreciate the various drive modes: Comfort, Sport and Sport Plus.
- Category : Performance Mid-size Crossovers and SUVs
- Engine : 5.5 twin-turbocharged V-8, front placement
- Transmission : 7-speed automatic with manual shifting mode
- Drivetrain : 4WD
- Power : 577hp
- Torque : 561 lb.-ft.
- 0-60 mph : 3.9 seconds
- Top Speed : 160 mph (governor limited, C/D est)
- Mileage : (city) 14 MPG; (highway) 18 MPG
- Price : starting at$110,225 to $118,330 (as tested)
- Instant glamour and feel of the legendary M-class
- Sport sedan performance in the body of an SUV
- Ample satisfaction performance-wise
- You win some, you lose some… you lose the SUV utility for sports handling.