Mercedes Benz just recently pulled out their hybrid, the 2015 model of S550e Plug-in Hybrid. You will love the S-class beauty, amenities and even the ride experience in Mercedes Benz green champion. Driving at 70 mph on electric power, who can say that S550e is a hybrid?
Under the hood, we have the V6 engine working in tandem with an AC electric motor. Between the two, you can find the seven-speed auto transmission which can shrug the shoulders of certified power speedsters but—hey!—we’re talking about a hybrid here.
It might not be the most beautiful looking car on the luxury lot but it exhibits the aura of elegance and class. After all, we are talking about an M-B here. Inside is just the same—exuding fine materials that can help the environmental activists relax. The dashboard is stacked with keys, buttons and infotainment system which simply tell you that modernity is not all about putting strain to Mother Earth.
All in all, the Mercedes Benz S550e hybrid is one fine car worthy enough to be an opponent of luxury big guys in the likes of Audi A8, BMW 7-series and Maserati Quattroporte.
- 0-liter V-6 – 329 hp, 354 lb.-ft.
- permanent-magnet synchronous AC electric motor – 114 hp, 251 lb-ft (combined power rating – 436 hp, 479 lb-ft)
- 7-kWh lithium-ion battery pack
- Transmission : 7-speed automatic with manual shifting mode
- Drivetrain : RWD
- 0-60 mph : 4.9 seconds
- Top Speed : 130 mph
- Mileage : (city) 24 MPG; (highway) 30 MPG; (combined w/ electricity) 58 MPGe
- Price : starting at $95,325 to $167,825 (as tested- $114,315)